Friday, February 2, 2007

Session #2, Chapters 9-13

Chapter 9, The beautiful metaphors of the church, the people of God, the new creation, the fellowship of faith, and the body, and the list goes on is the most anemic loci of evangelical theology. This is our identity as the living temple built with living stones as a holy priesthood, a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people (I Peter 2: 4-10). This such powerful theology that should melt us in our winter snow boots. We are resident aliens from the kingdom of God. How is this mystery, as Paul describes it in Ephesians 2, expressed in our congregational life?


Chapter 10, Identity is maintained by historical connections, traditions, theology, and extant community. Describe your ecumenical connections, relationships, and collaboration in kingdom endeavors. In my first pastorate, I had a close relationship with a UM pastor and his church; we developed ministries together that transcended my connections with other Mennonite pastors. I cherish those memories. Working at WTS is a similar experience, everyday I work with other members of the body, I have limited contact with Mennonites here in Findlay. The body has become my identity more than my denomination.


Chapters 11-13, Answer these questions as a Modern Evangelical-CGGC, then come back again as a Postmodern Disciple who is a first generation believer with no church background and answer in bold font. Worship, what is it? Why do it? How is it done?

No comments: