Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Chapters 1-8

Ch. 1-2
Postmodernism. As I sit and try to reflect back to the first instance I saw this I develop a blank stare and have no clue. I understand how Webber defines postmodernism as a shift back to "mystery, holism, interpreted facts, community and a combination of verbal and symbolic forms of communication" (pg 24). However, to be able to come up with a first time I saw this left me dumbfounded. After reading Tammie's post I was able to get a better idea of what would possibly be an answer. I too remember watching Sesame Street and School House Rock, along with Electric Company, Romper Room and Mister Rogers. However, as I think back to my childhood, I think of an afternoon show called "Banana Splits". It consisted of four furry creatures that sang and danced and taught you how to solve every day problems.
Postmodernism takes us back to community and this was definitely seen after 9-11 when people all over the US rallied and banded together, however, how quickly did that fade? How quickly did people push the even out of their minds and forget what happened? As much as we as a culture want to come back together, I think that the individualistic mind set has been so predominant that it will take quite awhile before we can fully reach it. But, just as when you drop a pebble in a pond and the rings interact with other things in the pond, so will our actions as a church interact with those around us.

Ch. 3
The return to Classical Christianity means becoming a "universal Christian" (pg 26). Meaning we must not look at boundaries or limits, but merely focus on winning souls for Jesus. Webber tells us that the kind of Christianity that will attract the new generation of Christians will emphasize primary truths and authentic embodiment. (pg 27) Meaning that our focus needs to switch from trying to tell nonbelievers everything and inundating them with details to simply telling them the basics.
1AT THAT time the disciples came up and asked Jesus, Who then is [really] the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2And He called a little child to Himself and put him in the midst of them,
3And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all].
4Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like this little child [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving] is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matt 18:1-4, AMP)
In this passage Jesus shares with his disciple the answer of how to understand all that he has taught them and how to approach the kingdom of heaven; which is like a child. No preconceived notions, no doubts, no fears, just complete trust and faith. That is how we need to preen the Gospel.
The first core issue identified by PM's is whether or not we can apply classical thought to a postmodern world. The second is whether or not we can conceptualize the significance of classical theology for the postmodern world.
Ch. 4-7
My Christology consists of knowing that Jesus was there at the beginning of time. That he shaped the earth we live on and that as part of his father's plan he came to this earth in human form, as a baby. He then grew up and experienced everything that you and I have experienced and probably more. But in doing so he is able to better relate and understand our sufferings. Then at the peak of his career, he followed thru with his father's plans and sacrificed himself for ALL of mankind. In his sacrifice he took ALL of the sin of the world, which in turn caused his father to turn away from him. However, by dying on the cross he was able to rid us of our sin and thereby make us clean and presentable for his father. Because he rose after three days in the tomb, I have hope that by coming to God now, I am forgiven and that God will accept me into his family forever and ever.
This is an important PM ministry issue, because in order to apply the classical thought to our ministry we must get back to the basics, which is Christ at the center. We as Christians in a PM world need to hold onto two truths:
1. Jesus Christ is God's son and he is our only salvation.
2. The Bible is God's word.
Everything is inconsequential and we can talk about all you want, but if we can't agree on those two items then there is no use talking.
Ch. 8
Pragmatism is a part of my everyday life. This is primarily due to the fact that I work for a company whose sole goal is to make money. Therefore they have come up with ways to accomplish that. So as much as there is a matter of fact way of solving problems, I am also an individual and therefore, use my own experiences and talents to help solve problems. So, in my day to day life, I am in a world or culture of pragmatism, however, I operate in an individualist way. I think this mindset can be applied to how I would like to approach my ministry. I will have to comply or abide by the rules of society or culture, however, I can be myself when working within those rules in order to accomplish my task of sharing the Word with unbelievers.